Merry Christmas, everyone! What a joy it is to celebrate the birth of our Savior!
I’ve been saving the best for last in the Christmas Album Countdown. Today I give you my favorite Christmas album, the one I’ve been listening to on repeat since Halloween (don’t judge). This is the one that T and I will have playing in our house today as we celebrate Christmas with my family. It’s Peace On Earth by Casting Crowns.
Casting Crowns has been one of my favorite Christian bands since high school. Besides the fact that their music is singable-along-to, their songs address profound spiritual issues and doctrines as well as social justice. I’ve had my soul spoken to on more than one occasion by a Casting Crowns song (like this one). I’m so glad they have a Christmas album, because it falls right in line with how I perceive their music.
The album includes a handful of standard Christmas carols, like “O Come All Ye Faithful,” “Away in a Manger,” and quite possibly my favorite version of “Silent Night.” They also perform a few of their original songs, such as “While You Were Sleeping,” “Christmas Offering,” which our church has since adopted as a congregational worship song, and “God Is With Us,” which I have sung as a solo in Christmas Eve services. The album concludes with a beautiful piano-accompanied arrangement of “Sweet Little Jesus Boy,” which reminds us that the world had no idea what Christ’s birth would lead to. This is followed by the closing track, a haunting violin solo of “O Come, O Come Emmanuel” that leaves us with a heavy sense of anticipation.
It’s really hard to choose a favorite track to share with you, so here is the one I know T would choose. It’s the opening song on the album, “I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day,” but like you’ve never heard it before. Enjoy the song (and the rest of the album), have an absolutely wonderful Christmas, and may the birth of Jesus bring joy and peace to your hearts today.
- Day 24: Glad – An Acapella Christmas
- Day 23: Michael Bublé – Christmas
- Day 22: Lady Antebellum – On This Winter’s Night
- Day 21: Beach Boys – Christmas With the Beach Boys
- Day 20: Kristin Chenoweth – A Lovely Way to Spend Christmas
- Day 19: Weezer – Christmas With Weezer
- Day 18: London Philharmonic – Messiah
- Day 17: She & Him – A Very She & Him Christmas
- Day 16: Straight No Chaser – Christmas Cheers
- Day 15: Point of Grace – A Christmas Story
- Day 14: The Cambridge Singers – The John Rutter Christmas Album
- Day 13: Frank Sinatra – A Jolly Christmas From Frank Sinatra
- Day 12: Idina Menzel – Holiday Wishes
- Day 11: The Muppets – A Green and Red Christmas
- Day 10: Josh Groban – Noel
- Day 9: Michael W. Smith – Christmas
- Day 8: Kelly Clarkson – Wrapped In Red
- Day 7: Pentatonix – That’s Christmas To Me
- Day 6: Amy Grant – Home For Christmas
- Day 5: Renée Fleming – Christmas in New York
- Day 4: Neil Diamond – The Christmas Album
- Day 3: Vince Guaraldi Trio – A Charlie Brown Christmas
- Day 2: Sufjan Stevens – Songs For Christmas
- Day 1: Bing Crosby – Christmas Classics