I know these guys have been around for a little while, but I’ve only recently made them a staple in my Christmas music library. Christmas Cheers doesn’t include my favorite song of theirs, “Nutcracker,” but it does have plenty of other good ones.
The album opens with “Christmas Can-Can,” a song about all of the craziness of Christmastime, set to the melody of the can-can (duh). My favorite part is Straight No Chaser’s token Jewish guy saying, “I’m gonna go get some Chinese food…” right where the big descending scale should be in the can-can. “Dónde Está Santa Claus” is a funny mariachi-style track, and there are a few borrowed songs on here, like “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch” from How the Grinch Stole Christmas and “Christmastime is Here” from A Charlie Brown Christmas. The album also includes lots of classic Christmas songs, like “Let it Snow,” “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer,” and “O Holy Night.” The finale, of course, is the Straight No Chaser original arrangement of “The 12 Days of Christmas,” which actually includes snippets of lots of different Christmas carols. How many can you name?
As good as that song is, though, that’s not the one I’d like you to sample. Instead, I give you “We Three Kings” in 5/8. For those of you who have no clue why I just included a fraction in a post about music, it means that SNC has set this holiday favorite in the style of “Mission Impossible.” Enjoy.
- Day 15: Point of Grace – A Christmas Story
- Day 14: The Cambridge Singers – The John Rutter Christmas Album
- Day 13: Frank Sinatra – A Jolly Christmas From Frank Sinatra
- Day 12: Idina Menzel – Holiday Wishes
- Day 11: The Muppets – A Green and Red Christmas
- Day 10: Josh Groban – Noel
- Day 9: Michael W. Smith – Christmas
- Day 8: Kelly Clarkson – Wrapped In Red
- Day 7: Pentatonix – That’s Christmas To Me
- Day 6: Amy Grant – Home For Christmas
- Day 5: Renée Fleming – Christmas in New York
- Day 4: Neil Diamond – The Christmas Album
- Day 3: Vince Guaraldi Trio – A Charlie Brown Christmas
- Day 2: Sufjan Stevens – Songs For Christmas
- Day 1: Bing Crosby – Christmas Classics