Even among the CCM (contemporary Christian music) community, I realize that including Point of Grace in my top 25 Christmas album list
gives you reason to judge me dates me. But hear me out: they have put out some good Christmas music, particularly on their first holiday album, A Christmas Story.
There are a lot of innovative things going on on this album. For one thing, they have several brand new songs on the album, such as “When Love Came Down,” “Emmanuel, God With Us,” “One King,” and “Not That Far From Bethlehem.” They include a few non-religious songs, like “Let it Snow,” “Santa Claus is Coming to Town,” and “Jingle Bell Rock.” Most interesting to me are the new takes and arrangements on classic carols, like the medley of “Carol of the Bells/What Child is This” and the rewritten melody in “Angels We Have Heard On High.” The winning track on this album, though, is “O Holy Night,” in which the lines in each verse overlap with each other. It makes it hard to sing along, but it’s just such a cool idea.
Point of Grace may be a little outdated, but their arrangements are good enough that my dad, who was our church music director for many years, used four of the songs on this album in our Christmas concerts. He rented the parts for a couple of them, and when he couldn’t get the parts, he arranged them himself. I think that speaks to the musical quality of the album and the timelessness of the message.
- Day 14: The Cambridge Singers – The John Rutter Christmas Album
- Day 13: Frank Sinatra – A Jolly Christmas From Frank Sinatra
- Day 12: Idina Menzel – Holiday Wishes
- Day 11: The Muppets – A Green and Red Christmas
- Day 10: Josh Groban – Noel
- Day 9: Michael W. Smith – Christmas
- Day 8: Kelly Clarkson – Wrapped In Red
- Day 7: Pentatonix – That’s Christmas To Me
- Day 6: Amy Grant – Home For Christmas
- Day 5: Renée Fleming – Christmas in New York
- Day 4: Neil Diamond – The Christmas Album
- Day 3: Vince Guaraldi Trio – A Charlie Brown Christmas
- Day 2: Sufjan Stevens – Songs For Christmas
- Day 1: Bing Crosby – Christmas Classics